Dimon Family

1 Longhorn + 1 Longhorn = 4 cute longhorns!

Thursday, September 9, 2010

What has consumed my life...

Many of you know that Shane started the long process of jaw reconstruction about 7 years ago with braces. 2 1/2 years ago we had what we thought was the hardest and most intense surgery. They reconstructed both the upper and bottom jaw. The recovery was frustrating at times, but not as bad as we thought. Liquid diet for a few weeks, then soft foods, but it consistently healed.


In July, we had the last step before they could finish the entire process and fit teeth. We would be finished soon! or so we thought.

In July, they did a bone graft in Shane's jaw. They used a ton of medical stuff (can't remember what it's called, but it's all "foreign material") Long story short, Shane's body rejected the graft, and he has had infection after infection since. The week school starts, his jaw on the right side shattered.

As a side note, his doctor is LDS, which we didn't know until recently. The first doctor who looked at it after it broke said there was nothing wrong. His doctor came in and within a minute of looking at him knew there was something very wrong, and ordered the xrays the help figure it out. We had been praying that the doctors would be inspired to know what was wrong and how to fix it. I know that Dr. Liddel was listening to the spirit that day.

So, they had to do immediate surgery to take out all the bone fragments. Then they put in a titanium plate to replace his jaw bone. The pain from this surgery was more severe than any he has had. After 3 days in the hospital, they sent him home. Initially, he was on the mend. Sore, but getting better. Nothing is easy though. Last Saturday he notices that his neck is sore and it is hard to swallow. He heads back to the doctor and they say infection is setting in. (He has been on antibiotics almost consistently since July 10th). Today, we go back in and find out that the only way to fix this is to be admitted to the hospital so they can hook him up to IV antibiotics, culture the infection and drain it.

We are currently waiting for the phone call that a bed is available at the hospital to start the process. Hopefully this will fix it. They think he will be on PIC line antibiotics for 6-8 weeks. In the midst of all this, Shane is supposed to be finishing his last semester. Hopefully we can get him home soon, so he can get to class.

On another note, Austin is NOT enjoying kindergarten. He complains of an upset stomach everyday, and tries to tell me that his forehead is hot. Hopefully after all of the upheaval in his life settles down, he will too. He has a great teacher who is a good mix of love and strict. She doesn't let him get away with trying to go to the nurse or to go home.

That's my life...be jealous!! :)

8 comments:

Cluff Chronicles said...

Jenn,

I am so sorry to hear all that has been going on! Our prayers are definitely with you. I hope all goes well and they can get it all figured out quickly. The lady that bought your old house is on the PTA with me. She loves your house, and they really didn't think it was too bad fixing the basement. They are still working on the leaking fire place.

Buddy Roberts said...

Jenn, I love you just because you posted that. Not sure that I would actually post about the day that I just had. Hang in there! Sending my love!

Buddy Roberts said...

Jen, Ben and Zane is me, Buddy. I started a blog for my niece and it has been messed up since.

Anonymous said...

jenn and shane!!! i am sooo sorry for all the medical chaos. i can sympathize with a lot of that hospital stuff. i hope they get things figured out very soon. we will keep your family in our prayers. the daily antibiotics isn't that bad. modern technology is great. nick just had a little "ball of antibiotics" and when he was hooked up to it he continued to be very mobile! i know it is a very stressful time for y'all. :( hang in there.

Kay said...

Jenn~
I have been so consumed in my own life that I haven't kept up with this - I had seen some things on FB that made me wonder what was up. Sorry I hadn't followed up! He can be a PICC bro - trust me when I say that all this will soon be a distant memory - but I KNOW that it doesn't feel like it now! Let me know if I can do anything besides pray!

Hildie said...

ewww! I had no idea he was that bad. I thought he was just being a faker (kidding!). But really, I didn't know he was doing so poorly. We'll keep him in our prayers.

P.S. Ada got three notes sent home last week about being naughty. Kindergarten is not going well here either.

Anonymous said...

Wow - sorry to hear that! Hope everything heals well for him.

Bliss Sawyer said...

just read all this... how are things? I hope Shane and all of you are doing well!